Everyone knows running is a great exercise to enhance overall health, level of good cholesterol, and lung function. It boosts our immune system and reduces the risk of developing blood clots. While you run for your good health or a marathon to win, you are required to measure things associated with your health.
Not to mention, wearable fitness trackers like smartwatches, bands, and shoes are available in the market, tracking everything you need to. The increasing usage of wearable fitness devices demands an efficient platform to collect, store, and present this data in a digestible format. By making an app like Map My Run, you can quench this demand and create a fitness brand.
Map My Run is a famous running tracking app similar to Nike Run Club, Strava, Runkeeper, etc. The app maps running routes, tracks pace, stride length, cadence, and more, and shows both real-time stats and end-of-run totals. The GPS-based app is available for both iOS and Android. It also uses sensors of your phone to track and display workouts, their duration, movement, and total distance.
The app goes beyond tracking just running stats and offers support for various fitness trackers and heart rate sensors. The app allows syncing data with the latest apps and wearables, such as Google Fit, Android Wear, Garmin, Fitbit, Suunto, etc. Moreover, it stores a whopping 600 fitness activities users can choose from to plan and track. And the community of over 60 million fitness enthusiasts to seek motivation and support from is just wild.
There are unique features the app offers in its freemium and even exceptional in its premium version. We’ll look into both, but before that, a couple of important things for entrepreneurs.
Is Running App Development worth it?
Having a question “if the investment you will make is worth it” is a good sign of your entrepreneurship. After all, you may have to shed blood, sweat, and tear despite hiring Mobile App Developers. Therefore, here are some statistics to ensure you are not shooting in the dark.
- The worldwide running app market was valued at USD 426.7 million in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 1 billion by the end of 2026. —Source: 360 Research Report.
- Increasing adoption of smartphones and versatile wellness devices like the Apple Watch or Garmin and spreading health consciousness awareness are the main reasons and running app market drivers.
- The new world after COVID-19 has led to a transition to virtual fitness from traditional fitness studios and gyms.
- Running apps like Map My Run offer no equipment workout routines, monitor pace, distance, and time, provide personalized training plans, and more. All these advantages help people to keep going with their fitness routine anytime and anywhere.
- From calories burn, weight loss to maintaining an amount of nutrition, users can customize their workout routine right on their smartphone. They can also seek the help of personal trainers or the fitness community to stay motivated.
So, are you determined to make a run tracker app like Map My Run? Let’s take you through the feature list to bring ease to your project requirements gathering.
Features Required To Develop Running App like Map My Run
Registration via social network account or email
Profile set up with personalized parameters (weight, height, etc.)
Set a Goal to plan workouts and fitness activities to accomplish the same
Route tracker that tracks the real-time route and suggests new routes
Find a route map that recommends nearby places to run, allows saving and adding favorite ones, and share them with others
Activity Feed that displays the map while running, walking, and constantly refreshes the route
Share workouts on social media
A Dashboard that highlights the current workout and its history
Connect to other apps to import or export the data
Connect to wearable devices like smartwatches, shoes
Fitness Challenges to accept and complete or create a fitness challenge to compete with others, be on the top of leaderboards, and win prizes
Ad preferences to ask what type of advertisement they would prefer on their free app version
The features mentioned above are free to use for Map My Run and the app also the MVP Premium version at $5.99 per month and $29.99 per year. The premium version offers premium features to train like a pro such as:
- Live Tracking to share the real-time running location with family and friends and give them peace of mind about your whereabouts.
- Personalized Training Plans by dynamically adapting users’ fitness levels help reach weight loss or running goals safely and effectively.
- Audio Coaching for real-time progress update according to the set run goal for pace, cadence, distance, duration, calories, and more on the go.
- Custom Training plans based on the ultimate goal and current activity level.
- Heart Rate Zone to connect a heartbeat monitor device and get detailed rate graphs.
- Mobile coaching with in-workout audio feedback and guidance to achieve the customizable goal.
Map My Run is a part of a global Map My Fitness platform now owned by a sports apparel company, Under Armour. Thus, you will find separate apps for walking, cycling, and general fitness on Google Play and Apple Store, both from Under Armour.
Ballparking the Cost to Develop an App like Map My Run
The fitness mobile app development cost is variable and calculated based on primary development factors such as:
- The type of your app: Minimum Viable Product, basic, or advanced
- The number of app features to make the app functional
- APIs embed and create the required features
- Platforms to build a Map My Run like app for iOS, Android, Web
- Technology stack according to the platform/s
- Hourly rate of app development that differs worldwide
- Expertise required to build an app like Map My Run
If we were to expect the cost, it might fall around 10000 USD to 15000 USD to build a basic running tracking app. Nonetheless, if you hire developers from countries like the USA or UK, you may need more budget.
The ultimate way out for an expensive app development project is to hire an on-demand app development company from the Asian region. We are one of the leading software development companies from South Asia. We assure our client a pocket-friendly software solution based on modern technology and without compromising the quality. You can take a free consultation from our expert to clear all your doubts before starting the project.